Thursday 14 July 2011

The Moment That

During every good book, every TV programme or film there's that one moment, that one simple line, or one long speech that just makes the movie. At one point, it will just hit you, and you're either hooked, or laughing so hard you never think you'll stop. Or you're crying, using the entire tissue box to soak up the mess. One moment that truly touches us. One moment when were either in the edge of our seats, or our hearts have catapulted in our chests. One moment when we're smiling with happiness, or through sheds of tears, but just that one moment. They have one and a half, maybe two hours to achieve that moment in a film, or anything from two hundred to five hundred in a book. One moment that truly reaches out to the person reading, or watching, and they feel this impact, and suddenly they remember each and every word. Those words become a quote you remember for the rest of your life. 

I am that over-emotional person. I only have to watch episodes of One Tree Hill, or Brothers & Sisters and I'm wiping my eyes with the sleeve of my jumper. I'm so easily touched, but it's the moments that affect me in such an emotional way that I live for when I watch or read something. And without that moment, I can't really count it as a success because its a moment where you truly connect with what's in front of you. 

More than anything, moments in TV and films have changed my life. They've inspired me. They've made me cry, at times uncontrollably. They've made me smile. Made me hope. And most of all, they've made me dream, and aspire to one day create something that touches the audience watching in the same way that I've felt during those great moments. 

Here are a few of my personal, top favourite quotes from films, and programmes that have been the ones to move me the most.

Enjoy . . .

- Lo x




A Walk to Remember;
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful." - [Landon Carter]


Coach Carter;
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - [Timo Cruz]


Armageddon;
"Baby, do you think its possible that anyone else in the world is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?"
"I hope so, otherwise, what the hell are we trying to save?"
- [Grace and AJ]


Brothers & Sisters;
"You see, it's this. It's just sitting here together in a waiting room both of us trying to pretend that we're not scared, that's love. And well, not being able to concentrate writing a speech about the beauty of love, because you're so scared that you might lose it and nothing would ever be the same. And realising that the one place, the one place, that you feel most you is when you are lying next to her, just breathing." - [Robert McCallister]


Feast of Love;
"There is a story about the greek gods. They were bored, so they invented human beings, but they were still bored, so they invented love. Then they weren't bored any longer, so they decided to try love for themselves. And finally they invented laughter, so they could stand it." - [Harry Stevenson]


Sex and the City;
"After he left, I cried for a week. And then I realised, I do have faith. Faith in myself. Faith that I would one day meet someone who would be sure I was the one." - [Carrie Bradshaw]


The OC;
"Acknowledge me now, or lose me forever." - [Seth Cohen]


Eclipse;
"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were things like, astronauts, president, or in my case, a princess. When we were ten, they asked again. We answered, a rock star, cowboy, or in my case, a gold medalist. But now that we're grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how about this. Who the hell knows? This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions; this is a time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere. Fall in love, a lot. Major in philosophy, because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind, and change it again, because nothing's permanent. So, make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask what we want to be, we won't have to guess...we'll know." - [Jessica]

One Tree Hill;
"At this moment there are 6,470,818,671 people in the world. Some are running scared. Some are coming home. Some tell lies to make it through the day. Others are just now facing the truth. Some are evil men, at war with good. And some are good, struggling with evil. Six billion people in the world, six billion souls. And sometimes, all you need is one." - [Peyton Sawyer]

The Notebook;
"So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day. Will you do something for me, please? Just picture your life for me? 30 years from now, 40 years from now? What's it look like? If it's with him, go. Go! I lost you once, I think I can do it again. If I thought that's what you really wanted. But don't you take the easy way out!" - [Noah]

Remember Me;
"If you could hear me, I would say that our finger prints don't fade from the lives we've touched." - [Tyler]

Seven Pounds;
"I lied to you, I think about dying every day." - [Ben Thomas]

P.S. I Love You;
"Thank you for the honor of being my wife. I'm a man with no regrets. How lucky am I. You made my life, Holly. But I'm just one chapter in yours. There'll be more. I promise. So here it comes, the big one. Don't be afraid to fall in love again. Watch out for that signal, when life as you know it ends. P.S. I will always love you." - [Gerry Kennedy]


Practical Magic;
"It was the curse, wasn't it? He died because I loved him so much." - [Sally Owens]

Crash;

"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something." - [Graham Waters]

In the Land of Women;

"
There's a big fucking world out there. It's messy, and it's chaotic, and it's never, never ever the thing you'd expect. It is ok to be scared, but you cannot allow your fears to turn you into an asshole, not when it comes to the people that love you, the people that need you."
- [Carter Webb]

Dear John;
 
"Two weeks together, that's all it took, two weeks for me to fall for you." - [Savannah Curtis]


Walk the Line;
"Please sing."
"I'm asking you to marry me. I love you, June. Now I know I said and done a lotta things, that I hurt you, but I promise, I'll never do that again. I only want to take care of you. I will not leave you like that dutch boy with your finger in the dam."
[June shakes her head.]
"You're my best friend, Marry me."
"All right."

- [Johnny Cash and June]

Into the Wild;
"What if I were smiling and running into your arms? Would you see then what I see now?" - [Christopher McCandless]


The Bucket List;
"The simplest thing is... I loved him. And I miss him. Carter and I saw the world together. Which is amazing... When you think that only three months ago, we were complete strangers! I hope that it doesn't sound selfish of me but... the last months of his life were the best months of mine. He saved my life... And he knew it before I did." - [Edward Cole]


The Blind Side;
"You're changing that boy's life."
"No. He's changing mine."
- [Leigh Anne Touhy]

The Secret Life of Bees;
"I killed my mother when I was four years old. She was all I ever wanted and I took her away." - [Lily Owens]

Buffy the Vampire Slayer;
"You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine, and done things I'd prefer you didn't. I don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker; I follow my blood, which doesn't always rush in the direction of my brain. So I've made a lot of mistakes. A lot of wrong bloody calls. A hundred plus years, only one thing I've ever been sure of. You. Look at me. I'm not asking you for anything. When I tell you that I love you, it's not because I want you, or 'cause I can't have you, it has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try... I've seen your strength, and your kindness, I've seen the best and the worst of you and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You are a hell of a woman. You're the one, Buffy."
"I don't... I don't want to be the one."
"I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear."
- [Spike to Buffy]


Dirty Dancing;
"Sorry for the interruption, folks, but I always do the last dance of the season. This year somebody told me not to. So I'm gonna do my kind of dancin' with a great partner, who's not only a terrific dancer, but somebody... who's taught me... that there are people willing to stand up for other people no matter what it costs them. Somebody who's taught me about the kind of person I wanna be. Miss Frances Houseman." - [Johnny]

Eat Pray Love;
"Listen, balance, my darling, is not letting anybody love you less than you love yourself." - [Felipe]


The Adjustment Bureau;
"All I have are the choices I make, and I choose her, come what may." - [David Norris]


Happythankyoumoreplease;
"Sadness be gone, let's be people who deserve to be loved, who are worthy, cause we are worthy" - [Annie]


Easy A;
"I might even lose my virginity to him. I don't know when will it happen. You know, maybe in five minutes, or tonight, or sixth months from now, or maybe on the night of our wedding. But the really amazing this is, it is nobody's goddamn business." - [Olive Penderghast]


A Cinderella Story;
"I know that guy that sent those emails is somewhere inside of you, but I can't wait for him... because waiting for you is like waiting for rain in this drought. Useless and disappointing." - [Sam Montgomery]


The Last Song;
"Sometimes you have to be apart from the people you love, but that doesn't make you love them any less. Sometimes it makes you love them more." - [Steve Miller]







3 comments:

  1. i think your blog must be my fave and i must seem like a stalker commenting on every post lol... but aww i love one tree hill, a walk to remember, and the notebook.

    i really like the quote at the beginning of Crash too =)

    i included your blog at the end of my most recent post, hope you dont mind.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome quotes. Armageddon is one of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, seriously, I am so honored you take the time to read my blogs! :) Seriously, I cry at least once during every episode of One Tree Hill! And I agree with you about Crash - I just added that to the list!

    Thank you guys for reading, I added more this morning. - Lo xx

    ReplyDelete