Wednesday 3 August 2011

My Best Reads.

The Last Song; Nicholas Sparks.
Its been a while since a book truly made me cry, and by the end of The Last Song I was physically sobbing my heart out. Its a book that many ages can enjoy, and also relate to. Ronnie has teenage angst that almost everyone has, or will experience in life, and the gradual development of the relationship between Ronnie and her father that progresses is really touching. By far, Nicholas Sparks's best book. 


Water for Elephants; Sara Gruen.
When I first started reading Water for Elephants, I was dubious and unsure of what to expect. But a few chapters in, and those initial reservations were completely thrown away as I could not put this put down. I know the film was made into a film, and whilst the film is a good film, I urge anyone to read the book, too, because it captivates you. 

Perfect Chemistry; Simone Elkeles.
A love story with a realistic, modern edge. After reading this book I forced it on my brother to read, and he was addicted to it, too. At the center of the story, its about love. But the fact that the two characters, Brittany and Alex, are so different, from different lives, different life styles, it just compels you.


Pictures of Lily; Paige Toon.
Paige Toon is one of those authors that you just buy their book, without hesitation. Every one of her five books have had the same effect on me, and each time, I seem to read them quicker than the last. If I had to pick just one, then that would be Pictures of Lily, simply because it was different from a lot of the chick-lit books I'd read for a while, and was a refreshing change. 

Twilight; Stephenie Meyer.
It will sound like a cliche that Twilight features on my best reads, but I can honestly say that I was a huge fan of the Stephenie Meyer books a long time before they were being made into movies, and the whole world suddenly jumped aboard the bandwagon. The thing I loved most about these books are the relationships between Bella and Edward, and then Bella and Jacob because they're kind of like this metaphor for life. There will always be people you like, and others that you love, and then they'll be some people you just can't live without. 

Memoirs of a Geisha; Arthur Golden.
Memoirs of a Geisha was one of the first books I read that was different. Up until then I'd read Jacqueline Wilson books growing up, and then  progressed onto Sophie Kinsella, and other rom-com type books. But when I bought Memoirs of a Geisha, my attention was well and truly caught up in this book, and I could not stop reading. The film adaptation is a film I also enjoy, but as with many adaptations from a book to the cinematic world, it didn't quite do the book justice. I felt it skimmed the book, but lacked a lot of the emotion built up. So if you ever have the chance, read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment